from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Gaping open; cavernous: a yawning abyss.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of yawn.
- n. The action of the verb yawn.
- adj. That yawns or yawn.
- adj. Wide open.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Gaping; oscitation; the taking of a deep inspiration, followed by a slight pause, and then a prolonged expiration, the mouth being more or less widely open.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. showing lack of attention or boredom
- adj. gaping open as if threatening to engulf someone or something
- adj. with the mouth wide open indicating boredom or sleepiness
- n. an involuntary intake of breath through a wide open mouth; usually triggered by fatigue or boredom
Sorry, no etymologies found.