from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having gaping liplike parts, as the corolla of some flowers or the shells of certain bivalves.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having the semblance of lips parted wide, such as may be observed in certain flowers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the lips widely separated and gaping like an open mouth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In botany, gaping: noting a bilabiate corolla with the lips widely spread and the throat open, as in the dead-nettle, Lamium.
- In zoology, gaping irregularly, as parts of some zoöphytes and the valves of some shells.
Stafford near Dunrobin Castle in Sutherlandshire, in which the usual ringent form of the corolla was replaced by the form called salver-shaped.
The whorls of bloom issue from half-globular arrangements of buds and persistent calyces; each flower is an inch long; corolla ringent, or gaping; helmet, or upper division, linear; the seed organs are longer; the calyx tubular, having five minute teeth, being striped and grooved; the whole head, or whorl, is supported by a leafy bract, the leaflets being of a pale green colour, tinted with red.
USA may not give a hoot for Palestinian lives but we have st ringent laws regarding cruelty to animals and animal abuse.
As the upper petal of the Aconite, and the upper lip of fome ringent flowers.
Thefe flowers have one piftilj and the corolla is irregular — either ringent or per - finite.
Mineta Wants More S.ringent S.curity Measures at U.S. Airports
U.S. EPA Approves More S.ringent Thresholds for S.n Joaquin Air District
U.S. EPA Approves More S.ringent Thresholds for S.n Joaquin Air District Moby Domestic Violence S.elter Grants Awarded by S.ate Coalition; Musician "Incredibly Happy" to Help Victims S.n Luis Obispo Mothers for Peace Objections to California S.ate Water Board Loopholes for Nuclear Power Plants CA Regulator Reports Prop 17 S.onsor Mercury Insurance Overcharged and Discriminated Against Drivers for 15 Years
MEMRI: Responses in Arab Press to More S.ringent S.curity Checks at U.S. Airports - For and Against
Responses in Arab Press to More S.ringent S.curity Checks at U.S. Airports -
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.