American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Sleepy; drowsy; inclined to sleep; sluggish.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Sleepy; drowsy; inclined to sleep.
- adj. inclined to or marked by drowsiness
- First attested in 1615. From French somnolent, from Old French sompolent, subsequently from Latin somnolentus, Latin somnus ("sleep"), Proto-Indo-European *swépnos, *súpnos (“dream”), which both are derived from Proto-Indo-European *swep-. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English sompnolent, from Old French, from Latin somnolentus : somnus, sleep; see swep- in Indo-European roots + -olentus, abounding in. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Especially did he love to lie on his back and have his sleek, cream-coloured throat stroked gently while he purred in somnolent satisfaction.”
“Also, the patient was getting a little somnolent, which is never a good sign when you are worried about hypoxemia / hypercarbia, so I figured it would be best if a nurse accompanied her.”
“Now I have to look up "somnolent" in the dictionary.”
“ It means tired and lazy-sort of like "somnolent".”
“S----, a comfortable place very slightly disturbed by the fact that it had been already the scene of four battles; there was just this effect, as it seemed to me, that the affairs of the day were carried on with a kind of somnolent indifference ....”
“It did not come; but I fell into a kind of somnolent state, in which I suddenly felt as though I were sinking in swiftly flowing water.”
“In contrast to Meg Whitman, whose Friday night speech to delegates may be found in the dictionary under "somnolent," Fiorina's talk was energetic, punchy and well-crafted.”
“It isn't the weight of history I feel when I look at his paintings: it's a kind of somnolent,”
“Or maybe the burlesquing hepcat Spaniards will roll one by the somnolent Coasters. shedders on 9 May 2010”
“But spending more is the one thing Obama cannot do, because of the deals House and Senate Republicans have forced on him, and because of a typically passive, somnolent media that does not have nerve enough to come out and call it like it is.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘somnolent’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Every time I finally decipher Kevin Barnes's song lyrics, I feel somewhat smarter.
These are strange/big/obscure words and phrases from the lyrics of the band 'of Montreal' (intentiona...
Extremely fond of adjectives. To conquer phlegmatic speech and indolent phrases.
of or relating to sleep
List of most of the words I've learned
Words that I come across, and go blank, or want to clarify.
Looking for tweets for somnolent.