from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Worn out; wearied: "My father's words had left me jaded and depressed” ( William Styron).
- adj. Dulled by surfeit; sated: "the sickeningly sweet life of the amoral, jaded, bored upper classes” ( John Simon).
- adj. Cynically or pretentiously callous.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Worn out, wearied, exhausted or lacking enthusiasm, due to age or experience.
- adj. Made callous or cynically insensitive, by experience.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of jade.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. dulled by surfeit.
- adj. fatigued due to excess effort.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. exhausted
- adj. dulled by surfeit
Why do we, in jaded, post-industrial America, buy it — the handsome ne'er-do-well with the plain, hardworking spinster?
The end of it is always, or nearly, the same, and to the effect that of course we "jaded critics" do not really care about any pieces at all, and only visit the theatre because we are paid to go, and that it is awfully unfair that such "jaded" -- one cannot help insisting upon the word "jaded" -- people should be allowed to act as critics.
I suppose the major reason I’m feeling so jaded is that the mystery has gone out of wine for me.
An hour later and I am feeling jaded, which is not helped by the fact that I have been awake for 26 hours.
The west can be described as jaded and deadened to stimuli in comparison to the h/s/c cultures with respect to sexual imagery and erotically charged situations.
After 20 years of reporting and writing news stories, I was well acquainted with what many call a jaded perspective, or what I call a wised-up perspective.
I thought of this as a sign of being 'jaded', but OGT boosted up my morale x9000 during one convo we had as he viewed this in the light of being "knowledgeable about my taste", rather than "jaded".
Even Michigan State hero Magic Johnson looks kind of jaded by the success.
Pingback from Pages tagged "jaded" on February 5, 2008 at 11: 01 pm
I tell you what, since Chelsea is not so "jaded" in politics, she'll probably have a less divisive, militant career and end up going further than her mom did.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.