American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Depleted of vitality, force, or effectiveness; exhausted: the final, effete period of the baroque style.
- adj. Marked by self-indulgence, triviality, or decadence: an effete group of self-professed intellectuals.
- adj. Overrefined; effeminate.
- adj. No longer productive; infertile.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Past bearing; functionless, as a result of age or exhaustion.
- Hence Having the energies worn out or exhausted; become incapable of efficient action; barren of results.
- Synonyms Unproductive, unfruitful, unprolific.
- Spent, worn out.
- An obsolete spelling of effete.
- adj. obsolete Of substances, quantities etc: exhausted, spent, worn-out.
- adj. Of people: lacking strength or vitality; feeble, powerless, impotent.
- adj. Decadent, self-indulgent.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. No longer capable of producing young, as an animal, or fruit, as the earth; hence, worn out with age; exhausted of energy; incapable of efficient action; no longer productive; barren; sterile.
- adj. marked by excessive self-indulgence and moral decay
- From Latin effetus ("that has given birth; exhausted"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin effētus, worn out, exhausted : ex-, ex- + fētus, bearing young, pregnant; see dhē(i)- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The anti-intellectualism that is popular in political and social discourse in this country when referring to the "effete European culture" that puts a high premium on learning and our instant gratification mentality that stems from our over-commercialized society discourages and disparages the kind of hard, persistent, and concentrated work that produces good learning, not just test taking.”
“So quipped Gore Vidal, after being told by William F. Buckley, Jr. that if he didn't stop calling the effete reactionary a crypto-Nazi, the "queer" would get socked "in the goddamned face.”
“Although many karate styles emphasize competition over the so-called effete “dancing” of “traditional” styles that “begin and end with kata,” all karate practitioners decry the sportification suspōtsuka of karate.”
“Is it simply a reproduction of one of these Eastern nationalities, which we are so fond of alluding to as effete?”
“But Russians have similar traits as Iranians : Russians like poisoning a crime known as an effete crime practiced most often by women and Iranians talk tough while trying to get their dirty deeds done by others.”
“The airwaves were filled with insults about "effete" and "cowardly" Frenchmen, the phrase "cheese eating surrender monkeys" was on lips across the nation, and rich patriots were boycotting RhÃ´ne wine in the spirit of national sacrifice.”
“The airwaves were filled with insults about "effete" and "cowardly" Frenchmen, the phrase "cheese eating surrender monkeys" was on many a pair of lips, and rich patriots were boycotting Rhône wine in the spirit of national sacrifice.”
“The airwaves were filled with insults about "effete" and "cowardly" Frenchmen, the phrase "cheese eating surrender monkeys" was on lips across the nation, and rich patriots were boycotting Rhône wine in the spirit of national sacrifice.”
“I know, I know — the term "effete" doesn't begin to describe such an approach to fishing, but as we say in New York, "What are ya gonna do?”
“I'm a democrat that will vote for McCain if the Dems are moronic enough to select this 'effete' for it's party.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘effete’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
words I saw while reading the Bike Snob
But only the ones that I don't already know.
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
David Foster Wallace, please.
words to shorten, weaken, or lessen
words of inaction
My list of neato keen words.
Looking for tweets for effete.