from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man who affects extreme elegance in clothes and manners; a fop.
- n. Something very good or agreeable.
- n. Nautical See yawl.
- adj. Suggestive of or attired like a dandy; foppish.
- adj. Fine; good.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Like a dandy, foppish.
- adj. Very good; better than expected but not as good as could be.
- adj. Almost first rate.
- n. A man very concerned about his clothes and his appearance.
- n. A yawl, or a small after-sail on a yawl.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who affects special finery or gives undue attention to dress; a fop; a coxcomb.
- n. A sloop or cutter with a jigger on which a lugsail is set.
- n. A small sail carried at or near the stern of small boats; -- called also jigger, and mizzen.
- n. A dandy roller. See below.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A man who attracts attention by the unusual finery of his dress and a corresponding fastidiousness or display of manner; a man of excessive neatness and primness in his attire and action; an exquisite; a fop.
- n. Something very neat or dainty. —
- n. An accessory and diminutive appendix or attachment to a machine.
- n. In tin-plate manuf., a running-out fire for melting pig-iron, the stack being built upon an open framework of iron, so that the melter has access to his fire from all sides.
- Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a dandy or fop; foppish: as, dandy manners.
- Neat; dainty; trim; gay.
- n. A small glass: as, a dandy of punch.
- n. A boatman of the Ganges. Also spelled dandie and dandee.
- n. A conveyance used in India, consisting of a strong cloth slung like a hammock to a bamboo staff, and carried by two or more men. The traveler can either sit sidewise or lie on his back.
- n. Nautical, a vessel rigged as a sloop, and having also a jigger-mast.
- n. Same as dandy-roller.
- n. See dengue.
- n. A roller placed on a machine in advance of another, to perform a preliminary operation.
- n. See dandy-roller.
- n. An open-work basket or vessel, used cither to carry fuel, or to confine fuel in a larger grate, or to hold pig-iron in a furnace-hearth for preliminary heating.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance
- n. a sailing vessel with two masts; a small mizzen is aft of the rudderpost
- adj. very good
Perhaps short for jack-a-dandy, fop.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
This definition is lacking an etymology or has an incomplete etymology. You can help Wiktionary by giving it a proper etymology. (Wiktionary)