American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The act of knocking out.
- n. The state of being knocked out.
- n. A blow that knocks out an opponent.
- n. Sports A victory in boxing in which one's opponent is unable to rise from the canvas within a specified time after being knocked down or is judged too injured to continue.
- n. Sports The act of winning a boxing match in this way: won the fight by a knockout.
- n. Slang A strikingly attractive or impressive person or thing.
- adj. Capable of knocking out: a knockout punch.
- adj. Strikingly attractive or impressive.
- adj. Having a specific single gene removed from the genome by genetic manipulation: knockout mice used in an experiment.
- n. The act of making someone unconscious, or at least unable to come back on their feet within a certain period of time; a TKO.
- n. The deactivation of anything.
- n. informal Something wildly popular, entertaining, or funny.
- n. informal A very attractive person, especially a beautiful woman.
- n. A partially punched opening meant for optional later removal.
- n. genetics The deactivation of a particular gene.
- n. genetics A creature engineered with a particular gene deactivated.
- n. printing An event where a foreground color causes a background color not to print.
- n. sports A tournament, in which a team or player must beat the opponent in order to progress to the next round.
- adj. Rendering someone unconscious.
- adj. Amazing; gorgeous; beautiful.
- adj. genetics Designating an organism in which a particular gene has been removed or deactivated.
- adj. Causing elimination from a competition
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Act of knocking out, or state of being knocked out; the act of rendering a person unconscious by a blow.
- n. a blow which causes a person to become unconscious.
- n. (Boxing) the winning of a boxing contest by rendering the opponent unable to stand for a specified period, usually a count of ten; -- in contrast to a win by a
- n. Informal a strikingly beautiful woman.
- adj. very strong or vigorous
- n. a very attractive or seductive looking woman
- n. a blow that renders the opponent unconscious
- From knock out. (Wiktionary)
“Several rodent models have identified UDT in knockout models of hoxa10, hoxa11, hox13, cgrp, insl3, and great genes.”
“I was known as a knockout artist with one punch and was dubbed the dirtiest fighter on the continent.”
“Winners by knockout: Of the 16 nations that have progressed to the second round of the World Cup, the three most successful in knockout matches are Italy, Brazil and Germany.”
“In his 3rd fight in France, Drayton, had another non-title knockout, in 2 rounds over Mexican Juan Alonso Villa, (14-5), in Val-de-Marne.”
“There may not be a short-term knockout, so Dems should prepare as if they're trying to win by decision.”
“Another knockout is the chillingly well-made documentary "The Imposter," about Frédéric Bourdin, a French con-artist who posed as a missing child and was welcomed into the child's family home in Texas.”
“The toolbox of experimental genetic methods developed by Capecchi, Evans and Smithies, commonly called the knockout technology, has permitted scientists to determine the role of specific genes in development, physiology, and pathology.”
“Then comes the so-called knockout stage, 16 teams.”
“A knockout is a finality not afforded to cubicle dwellers.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘knockout’.
Interesting gene names. Some of these may have changed recently (to something less offensive/funny).
tinman, agnostic, dreadlocks, Van Gogh, fruitless, lava lamp, ariadne, cheap date, ken and barbie, I'm not dead yet, I'm not dead yet 2, manic fringe and 1192 more...
This list was inspired by this article. Any Nigerians out there care to add to it?
how knock is used
More randomly-garnered terms from the world of words that don't quite yet fit into my other lists.
For more flower fun, see these lists:
Rose words by mollusque
Rose varieties by mollusque
Tulip Names I
Tulip Names II: You Know My Name
A Myriad of Irii
Looking for tweets for knockout.