from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A popular, attractive girl or woman, especially the most attractive one of a group: the belle of the ball.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An attractive woman.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A young lady of superior beauty and attractions; a handsome lady, or one who attracts notice in society; a fair lady.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- ⟨Beautiful; charming; fair.
- Good entertainment; good cheer.
- n. A fair lady; a handsome woman of society; a recognized or reigning beauty.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a young woman who is the most charming and beautiful of several rivals
French, beautiful, belle, from Latin bella, feminine of bellus; see deu-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French belle ("beautiful"), from Latin bella. (Wiktionary)