American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A popular, attractive girl or woman, especially the most attractive one of a group: the belle of the ball.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- ⟨Beautiful; charming; fair.
- Good entertainment; good cheer.
- n. A fair lady; a handsome woman of society; a recognized or reigning beauty.
- n. An attractive woman.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A young lady of superior beauty and attractions; a handsome lady, or one who attracts notice in society; a fair lady.
- n. a young woman who is the most charming and beautiful of several rivals
- From French belle ("beautiful"), from Latin bella. (Wiktionary)
- French, beautiful, belle, from Latin bella, feminine of bellus; see deu-2 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Louisa Castlefort, _si belle, si belle_, so beautifully dressed!”
“Though, fair demoiselles, I have been chosen the belle, I feel as I gaze upon the galaxy of beauty around me that I, "she added in gay tones," have no occasion to blush at my own loveliness, for I feel that the gods have been so lavish in their gifts of everything that is lovely that they have surely become bankrupt and have kept no charms for me, and that Monsieur Eau Clair must have looked at my poor graces through rose-coloured spectacles when he called me _la belle_ and made me the recipient of gifts fit for a queen.”
“Sharon Lawrence as the fading southern belle is great.”
“I chose it to serve as a first qualifier of the period label belle Ã©poque.”
“Oh, yes; you are Kaolin's sister -- her they call the belle of the tribe; your name's Nacena.”
“In a typical moment, Blanche, the vain Southern belle played by Rue McClanahan, preens, "One thing I know for sure, I have not lost my hourglass figure.”
“The period at the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century is often termed the belle époque for France.”
“THIS CAN BE THEY ONLY LOOK LIKE GOOD FRIENDS:) Camille belle is not for my robert ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! someone March 22nd, 2009 at 7: 40 pm edit ill camilla is ugly!”
“Why Jennifer made the list: They say everything is bigger in Texas, and judging by this southern belle, that is the truth!”
“She was not called the belle of the evening, but belle of the season.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘belle’.
Names of girls in song titles. Not in the lyrics, just in the titles.
Just the name on the list, then the full title with any identifying notes in the comments, please.
Can be the same ...
Given names that were acceptable for play the last time I checked the OWL.
Also known as Yes, we hurricane.
A collective effort to list all first names that are also hurricane/cyclone/tropical storm names.
The only rules are
French words and phrases used by English speakers.
A list of all known Heroic Classes available to players of the game Sburb within the Homestuck universe, as well as any other words I can think of which would theoretically adhere to the known guid...
Looking for tweets for belle.