from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having or showing belief in and reverence for God or a deity.
- adj. Of, concerned with, or teaching religion: a religious text.
- adj. Extremely scrupulous or conscientious: religious devotion to duty.
- n. A member of a monastic order, especially a nun or monk.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Concerning religion.
- adj. Committed to the practice of religion.
- adj. Highly dedicated, as one would be to a religion.
- n. A member of a religious order, i.e. a monk or nun.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to religion; concerned with religion; teaching, or setting forth, religion; set apart to religion
- adj. Possessing, or conforming to, religion; pious; godly
- adj. Scrupulously faithful or exact; strict.
- adj. Belonging to a religious order; bound by vows.
- n. A person bound by monastic vows, or sequestered from secular concern, and devoted to a life of piety and religion; a monk or friar; a nun.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Imbued with, exhibiting, or arising from religion; pious; godly; devout: as, a religious man; religious behavior: used in the authorized version of the Bible of outward observance (Jas. i. 26; Acts xiii. 43).
- Pertaining or devoted to a monastic life; belonging to a religious order; in the Roman Catholic Church, bound by the vows of a monastic order; regular.
- Bound by or abiding by some solemn obligation; scrupulously faithful; conscientious.
- Of or pertaining to religion; concerned with religion; teaching or setting forth religion; set apart for purposes connected with religion: as, a religious society; a religious sect; a religious place; religious subjects; religious books or teachers; religious liberty.
- Synonyms Devotional.
- Scrupulous, exact, strict, rigid. See religion.
- n. One who is bound by monastic vows, as a monk, a friar, or a nun.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. concerned with sacred matters or religion or the church
- adj. of or relating to clergy bound by monastic vows
- adj. extremely scrupulous and conscientious
- n. a member of a religious order who is bound by vows of poverty and chastity and obedience
- adj. having or showing belief in and reverence for a deity
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin religiōsus, from religiō, religion; see religion.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Anglo-Norman relegius, religius et al., Old French religious, religieux, and their source, Latin religiōsus ("religious, superstitious, conscientious"), from religiō ("religion"). (Wiktionary)