American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, expressive of, or used in devotion, especially of a religious nature.
- n. A short religious service.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to religious devotion; used in devotion; suited to devotion: as, a devotional posture; devotional exercises; a devotional frame of mind.
- Synonyms Devout, Devotional. See devout.
- Forms of devotion.
- n. A piece of music or writing about or pertaining to devotion.
- adj. Of or pertaining to devotion or worship
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Pertaining to, suited to, or used in, devotion
- n. a short religious service
- adj. relating to worship
“What gets my attention, however, is the phrase devotional respect.”
“So, when I first started listening to what I identified as a devotional music, not just klemerishe wedding tantses and the like, but Shalos Shudis Niggunim, new ones indifferentiable from ancient ones , in a secular context, I had to wonder: what are they thinking about?”
“He reads the lessons in what he calls a devotional way, which consists in reciting all episodes alike, the song of Deborah or the victories of Gideon, as if they were melancholy and pathetic reflections.”
“He recorded a song of mine after I finished sixth form and when I dropped out of Cardiff University I had started to write worship and what I call devotional songs.”
“And certain devotional emphases, particularly devotion to Christ's suffering humanity and to the Eucharist (although not, as is often said, to the Virgin) were characteristics of women's practices and women's words. 19”
“This includes a survey of the artwork from the nuns 'houses while considering how images may have been employed in devotional activities.”
“Recruited by the church to promote an increase in devotional practices, these women were exhorted to create spiritual havens for husbands and children, removed from the materialism of the outside world.”
“Indeed, majoring in devotional theology is akin to a religious calling as well as an academic pursuit.”
“There is much in devotional religion of the same strain of softness and fervor which is akin to earthly attachments, and the one is almost sure to recall the other.”
“2The specific role of images in devotional activity has generated copious scholarship.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘devotional’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for devotional.