from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who abstains from sexual intercourse, especially by reason of religious vows.
- n. One who is unmarried.
- adj. Abstaining from sexual intercourse, especially by reason of religious vows.
- adj. Unmarried; unwed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not married.
- adj. Abstaining from sexual relations and pleasures.
- n. Person who is not married, especially one who has taken a religious vow not to get married, usually because of being a member of a religious community.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Celibate state; celibacy.
- n. One who is unmarried, esp. a bachelor, or one bound by vows not to marry.
- adj. Unmarried; single.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A single life; celibacy.
- n. One who adheres to or practises celibacy; a bachelor, especially a confirmed bachelor.
- Unmarried; single: as, a celibate life.
- To lead a single life. Fortnightly Rev.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an unmarried person who has taken a religious vow of chastity
- adj. abstaining from sexual intercourse
Latin caelibātus, from caelebs, caelib-, unmarried.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin caelibatus, perfect passive participle of caelibare, from caelebs ("unmarried"). (Wiktionary)