American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A person who has not experienced sexual intercourse.
- n. A chaste or unmarried woman; a maiden.
- n. An unmarried woman who has taken religious vows of chastity.
- n. The Virgin Mary.
- n. Zoology A female insect or other arthropod that produces fertile eggs without copulating.
- adj. Of, relating to, or being a virgin; chaste.
- adj. Being in a pure or natural state; unsullied: virgin snow.
- adj. Unused, uncultivated, or unexplored: virgin territory.
- adj. Existing in native or raw form; not processed or refined.
- adj. Happening for the first time; initial.
- adj. Obtained directly from the first pressing: virgin olive oil.
- adj. Zoology Producing fertile eggs without copulating.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A woman who has had no carnal knowledge of man; a maiden of inviolate chastity; a pure maid.
- n. A man who has preserved his chastity.
- n. One who professes perpetual virginity; especially, in the early church, one of a class or order of women who were vowed to lifelong continence.
- n. The state of virginity.
- n. A parthenogenetic insect, as an aphid; a female insect which lays eggs which hatch, though there has been no fecundation for some generations by the male.
- n. Any female animal which has not had young, or has not copulated.
- n. [capitalized] The zodiacal sign or the constellation Virgo. See Virgo.
- Of or pertaining to a maid or virgin; being a virgin; befitting a virgin; chaste; pure; maidenly; indicating modesty.
- Unsullied; undefiled: as, virgin snow; virgin minds.
- Untouched; not meddled with; unused; untried; fresh; new; unalloyed: as, virgin soil.
- In zoology, parthenogenetic, as an insect; of or pertaining to parthenogenesis: as, virgin reproduction. See agamogenesis.
- To play the virgin; be or continue chaste: sometimes with indefinite it.
- n. A person who has never had sexual intercourse, or sometimes, one who has never engaged in any sexual activity at all.
- n. informal Preceded by a noun, a person who has never used or experienced what is denoted by the noun.
- adj. In a state of virginity; chaste, not having had sexual intercourse.
- adj. Of a physical object, untouched.
- adj. Of olive oil, obtained by mechanical means, so that the oil is not altered.
- adj. Of mixed drinks, not containing alcohol.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A woman who has had no carnal knowledge of man; a maid.
- n. Archaic A person of the male sex who has not known sexual indulgence.
- n. (Astron.) See Virgo.
- n. (Zoöl.) Any one of several species of gossamer-winged butterflies of the family
- n. (Zoöl.) A female insect producing eggs from which young are hatched, though there has been no fecundation by a male; a parthenogenetic insect.
- adj. Being a virgin; chaste; of or pertaining to a virgin; becoming a virgin; maidenly; modest; indicating modesty.
- adj. Pure; undefiled; unmixed; fresh; new.
- adj. Not yet pregnant; impregnant.
- v. obsolete To act the virgin; to be or keep chaste; -- followed by
it. See it, 5.
- n. (astrology) a person who is born while the sun is in Virgo
- n. a person who has never had sex
- adj. in a state of sexual virginity
- n. the sixth sign of the zodiac; the sun is in this sign from about August 23 to September 22
- adj. being used or worked for the first time
- From Old French virgine, from Latin virginem (nominative: virgo). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old French virgine, from Latin virgō, virgin-. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The film stars Carell as the title virgin, who works at a large electronics store and is basically a loner.”
“Foods: The term virgin evokes purity, cleanliness, white.”
“The word virgin was said about a thousand times, and every time she heard it, Celeste turned bright red.”
“Among mating animals, the term virgin is applied to the female who has not mated," he answered.”
“The term virgin in its mystical sense signifies a soul pure from admixture of matter.”
“The adoption of the term virgin was not a mistranslation: it was a judgment of the translators based on the texts which they had before them and the audience for which the translation was intended.”
“But not only didn't Isaiah, as we have seen, use the word virgin, which all by itself refutes Matthew's virgin birth of Jesus, but the very context in which Isaiah was speaking absolutely precludes the notion of such a prophecy by Isaiah.”
“They're followed by a man who hoots the word 'virgin' six times in a row and then leaves.”
“It's definitely non-traditional, but the peppery sheen of a good middle eastern extra virgin is a nice replacement for lard or suet.”
“Now the original Hebrew doesn't have the word virgin, it's just a young woman, but that's the prophecy that's quoted from the Old Testament in support of the story which is, in any case, about a birth without a human father, so it's not that it rests on mistranslation; St Matthew's gone to his Greek version of the bible and said "Oh, 'virgin'; sounds like the story I know," and put it in.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘virgin’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
Input limited to 30 seconds, so we needed to find cost-effective ways to become a part of your life. Uninvited houseguest technology: the link technique, thoughts as real estate. The full potential...
Christian word branding; common English word-associatives connected to Bible terminology or scripture.
I also have a general Bible-word list.
Tired of singing the same carols year after year? Wanna mix it up a little? Now you can, with the Do-it-yourself Christmas Carol List (from the creator of the Doo-it-yourself Doowop List). Just mix...
Read the top word on the list and add a word that you associate with it. The association may be semantic, etymological, structural, literary, personal, etc.
1. In t...
it bothers me when i hear someone who have experienced something life changing use the phrase: now i appreciate the little things. I DON'T BELIEVE THERE ARE ANY LITTLE THINGS. everything is EXTRAOR...
My big word list.
A collection of words about doing the nasty.
french words & english ones
des mots franÃ§ais & d'autres anglais
Looking for tweets for virgin.