from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A high-spirited, boisterous, or saucy girl.
- adj. High-spirited; boisterous.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A rude, uncultured or rowdy girl or woman.
- adj. Like a hoyden: high-spirited and boisterous; saucy, tomboyish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Same as hoiden.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- See hoiden.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a girl who behaves in a boyish manner
From earlier hoyden, a rude youth, probably from Dutch heiden, heathen, boor, from Middle Dutch; see kaito- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Probably from Middle Dutch heiden, from Germanic heidano ‘heathen, gypsy’. (Wiktionary)