from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Slang Exhibiting stereotypically or exaggeratedly masculine traits or appearance. Used especially of lesbians and gay men.
- n. Slang One who is butch.
- n. A haircut in which the hair is cropped close to the head.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Very masculine, with a masculine appearance or attitude.
- n. A lesbian who appears masculine or acts in a masculine manner.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. markedly masculine in appearance or manner; -- used of men.
- adj. same as lesbian.
- n. a lesbian who is noticeably masculine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To butcher; cut, as flesh.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (slang) offensive term for a lesbian who is noticeably masculine
- adj. used of men; markedly masculine in appearance or manner
- adj. (of male or female homosexuals) characterized by stereotypically male traits or appearance
Probably from the male nickname Butch.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Originally it was probably used as an abbreviation of butcher. Later, in the 1940s, the sense "aggressive lesbian" was developed. (Wiktionary)