from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A young person, especially a member of a rebellious counterculture group.
- n. Slang An inexperienced young man.
- n. Music Punk rock.
- n. Music A punk rocker.
- n. Slang A young man who is the sexual partner of an older man.
- n. Archaic A prostitute.
- n. Dry decayed wood, used as tinder.
- n. Any of various substances that smolder when ignited, used to light fireworks.
- n. Chinese incense.
- adj. Slang Of poor quality; worthless.
- adj. Slang Weak in spirits or health.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A juvenile delinquent, young petty criminal or trouble-maker.
- n. A utensil for lighting wicks or fuses (such as those of fireworks) resembling stick incense.
- n. A prostitute; courtezan.
- n. (19th century, rare) The bottom in a male-male sexual relationship; a catamite.
- n. A male used for sex by larger or stronger inmates, a pussyboy
- n. A social and musical movement rooted in rebelling against the established order.
- n. The music of the punk movement, known for short songs with electric guitars, strong drums, and a direct, unproduced approach.
- n. A person subscribing to the movement, a punk rocker.
- n. A worthless person.
- adj. Of, or resembling the punk subculture
- v. To pimp.
- v. To forcibly perform anal sex upon an unwilling partner.
- v. To prank.
- v. To give up or concede; to act like a wimp.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Wood so decayed as to be dry, crumbly, and useful for tinder; touchwood.
- n. A fungus (Polyporus fomentarius, etc.) sometimes dried for tinder; agaric.
- n. An artificial tinder. See Amadou, and Spunk.
- n. A prostitute; a strumpet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To strike or pound with the closed fist.
- n. Wood decayed through the influence of a fungus or otherwise, and used like tinder; touchwood.
- n. Tinder made from certain fungi. See amadou and fungus-tinder.
- n. A prostitute; a courtezan.
- n. A punch or pound with the closed fist.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. substance that smolders when ignited; used to light fuses (especially fireworks)
- n. rock music with deliberately offensive lyrics expressing anger and social alienation; in part a reaction against progressive rock
- n. material for starting a fire
- n. an aggressive and violent young criminal
- n. a teenager or young adult who is a performer (or enthusiast) of punk rock and a member of the punk youth subculture
- adj. of very poor quality; flimsy
That's what we found at HONK!, where there were marching bands as big as armies, like New York's Rude Mechanical Orchestra; groups that made the term punk-rock marching band make sense, like What Cheer! from Providence; and bands that tossed off Balkan tunes with an easy virtuosity, like Seattle's Orchestar Zirkonium.
Coyote's choice of the highly gendered term punk is retrospective, not contemporary to the events he describes; still, it is telling that he chooses this term when remembering a moment when he feared he might project effeminate weakness by declining to attend.
That this punk is a G.C. Deutsch "III", could it be he is a NASA legacy and that is how he got the post??????
Two loaves of what he called punk, with a box of crackers, lay on a newspaper.
Quick question: How many genres or sub-genres end in "punk"?
And, speaking as someone involved in punk rock for the better part of ten years, I can say that even subcultures that claim to be politically enlightened when it comes to "women's issues" and female participation still fall short a lot of the time.
Post punk is just kind of in the blood, so that comes out all the time.
I'm not sure what that Weiland punk is doing, besides whining that his arms hurt from working out.
F&F for being same old crappy brainwashed head in its 4th point of contact un-american, un-patriotic scum bag pond scum sucking stool. you need help going threw life as someones punk is not what real men do.
And, you know, I think it will resonate with those people because I think that the attitude in punk, even if you do hang up your leather jacket, you still carry that attitude with you no matter what you go on to do.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.