American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Decomposed and foul-smelling; rotten.
- adj. Proceeding from, relating to, or exhibiting putrefaction.
- adj. Morally rotten; corrupt: "and all the while scarlet thoughts, putrid fantasies, and no love” ( Louis Auchincloss).
- adj. Extremely objectionable; vile.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a state of decay or putrefaction; exhibiting putrefaction; corrupt; fetid from rottenness; stinking: said of animal and vegetable bodies: as putrid flesh.
- Indicating a state of putrefaction; proceeding from or pertaining to putrefaction: as, a putrid scent.
- adj. Rotting, rotten, being in a state of putrefaction.
- adj. of, relating to, or characteristic of putrefaction, especially having a bad smell, like that of rotting flesh.
- adj. Vile, disgusting.
- adj. morally corrupt
- adj. totally objectionable
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Tending to decomposition or decay; decomposed; rotten; -- said of animal or vegetable matter. See putrefaction.
- adj. Indicating or proceeding from a decayed state of animal or vegetable matter.
- adj. morally corrupt or evil
- adj. of or relating to or attended by putrefaction
- adj. in an advanced state of decomposition and having a foul odor
- From Latin putridus ("rotten, decayed"), from pūtreō ("I am rotten or putrid"), from puter ("rotten, decaying, putrid"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English putred, from Old French putride, from Latin putridus, from putrēre, to be rotten, from puter, putr-, rotten; see pū̆- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“And when we tried to cheer him up with the prospect of a second Waterloo, the Waterloo that all the war-correspondents said was coming off next week, he refused to listen to what he called our putrid gabble.”
“Joe had NO right to jabber about morality since he has NONE, and his support for the Iraq occupation fiasco is plain putrid, as well as his defense of the vile Bush Regime, so Sen. Clinton helping him is strange!”
“Lol post 59 that letter from Verizon is plain putrid!”
“How did the richest country on Earth end up watching children cry for food in putrid encampments on the evening news?”
“The air inside became putrid from the odors that accompanied the abnormal body functions associated with dysentery and the urine-soaked clothes the men were wearing.”
“This dangerous disease is sometimes called putrid or ulcerous sore throat.”
The Cherokee Physician, or Indian Guide to Health, as Given by Richard Foreman, a Cherokee Doctor; Comprising a Brief View of Anatomy, With General Rules for Preserving Health without the Use of Medicines. The Diseases of the U. States, with Their Symptoms, Causes, and Means of Prevention, are Treated on in a Satisfactory Manner. It Also Contains a Description of a Variety of Herbs and Roots, Many of which are not Explained in Any Other Book, and their Medical Virtues have Hitherto been Unknown to the Whites; To which is Added a Short Dispensatory.
“And the women said about 50 percent of men who had gonorrhea had sweat that smelled "putrid," whereas only 32 percent of the healthy men were described as putrid.”
“Is it not from hence that have come forth Marcions and Valentinuses and the detestable heresy of the Manicheans which you may, without going far wrong, call the putrid humor of the churches?”
“One of my earliest recollections was to follow mother with my brothers and sisters, each child carrying a plate filled with food from the table for the convalescents, and, although at this day contagious diseases are so carefully avoided, I can remember going fearlessly in and out of the cabins, carrying dainty dishes to many little ones who were suffering with what they then called putrid sore throat.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘putrid’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Beautiful, attractive, well-formed
Ugly, unattractive, malformed
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words having to do with terrible smells.
All my favourite words that I come across!
ones I already liked
Looking for tweets for putrid.