from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Smelling of mildew or decay; musty.
- adj. Old-fashioned; antique.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Moldy or musty.
- adj. stale-smelling or stuffy.
- adj. old-fashioned, refusing to change or update.
- adj. Tasting of the cask.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Moldy; musty; ill-smelling; rank.
- adj. Moping.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Moldy; musty; ill-smelling; rank; rancid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. old-fashioned and out of date
- adj. stale and unclean smelling
Middle English, from Old French fust, piece of wood, wine cask, from Latin fūstis, stick, club.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Old French fust ("cask") (modern French fût), from Latin fustis ("a cudgel") (Wiktionary)