from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not combed: unkempt hair.
- adj. Not properly maintained; disorderly or untidy: an unkempt garden. See Synonyms at sloppy.
- adj. Unpolished; rude.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. dishevelled; untidy; dirty; not kept up
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not combed; disheveled.
- adj. Fig.; Not smoothed; unpolished; rough.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Uncombed; disheveled: as, unkempt hair; hence, disorderly, Figuratively, rough; unpolished.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not properly maintained or cared for
- adj. not neatly combed
Middle English unkemd : un-, not; see un-1 + kembed, past participle of kemben, to comb (from Old English cemban; see gembh- in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
un- + Middle English kempt ("combed"), compare German kämmen. (Wiktionary)