American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Characterized by or inclined to neglect, especially habitually.
- adj. Characterized by careless ease or informality; casual.
- adj. Law Guilty of negligence.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Characterized by negligence or by neglectful habits; neglectful; careless; heedless; apt or accustomed to omit what ought to be done, or to do it in a careless or heedless manner: followed by of when the object of the negligence is specified: as, a negligent man; a man negligent of his duties.
- Indicative of easy indifference or of disregard of conventionalities.
- Synonyms Negligent, Neglectful, Remiss, Heedless, Thoughtless. inattentive, regardless, indifferent, slack. Of the first five words, remiss is the weakest; it especially applies to failure to attend to what is considered duty. Negligent is generally applied to inattention to things, neglectful to inattention to persons. Neglectful, by derivation, is stronger than negligent, but the difference is really small. Heedless, thoughtless, etc., indicate lack of heed, care, attention, thought, etc., where they are needed or due. All these words may apply to a particular occasion of failure, or indicate a habit or a trait of character; as, he is very heedless. See neglect, v., and negligence.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Apt to neglect; customarily neglectful; characterized by negligence; careless; heedless; culpably careless; showing lack of attention.
- adj. characterized by neglect and undue lack of concern
- Middle English, from Old French, from Latin neglegēns, neglegent-, present participle of neglegere, to neglect; see neglect. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“An outrage, they say, because they believe that ever since Beslan, the Russian government has done everything it could to try and cover up its -- what they call negligent handling of the crisis.”
“John McCain on Rove: It depends on what the definition of "negligent" is by on”
“Whether BP (and/or its contractors) were criminally negligent is the subject of a Justice Department investigation.”
“She used the word negligent – I used it only is nresponse to her post – and she has had it pointed out before that there is no evidence of volcanic involvement, but a GREAT deal of observation and evidence of increasing temperatures, surface melt and fissuring as the method of collapse, for both Larsen A and B, and for smaller collapses and sloughing being observed.”
“No idea if this was force-wide policy or an overly cautious/paranoid Inspector though, but surely that’s just plain negligent?”
“Sen. Barbara A. Mikulski D-Md., a critic of what she has called negligent safety practices under former Metro chief John Catoe, this week lauded Sarles for having "a commitment to creating the culture of safety we need at Metro.”
“The company now faces a federal criminal investigation into what the government has called negligent and reckless practices.”
“That is called negligent homicide or manslaughter - and every union idiot who participated in that blizzard protest should be charged and locked away for as long as possible.”
“BLITZER: Because the notion of negligent homicide comes to mind.”
“One of those deaths was just reclassified as negligent homicide.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘negligent’.
Find the words (left) for the definitions below
- the person upon whom one coughs at
- appalled over how much weight you have gained
- to give up all hope of ever having a flat st...
Temporary list is temporary.
Collecting a few words here, which are then to be alloted to other lists.
abandon,extreme e..., abash,to humiliate, abate,to lessen, abbreviate,to sho..., abridge, abdicate,to forma..., aberration,depart..., abnormality, abet,to encourage, abhor,to hate, abide,to follow o..., abject,utterly ho... and 2228 more...
alleviate,to lighten, altercation,a qua..., amicable,friendly, ambiguous,vague, put something to ..., unclear, adaptation,A comp..., albatross,a signi..., indifferent, cordial nature, to mitigate, affinity,a natura... and 2229 more...
Lesson 8's vocab words.
Looking for tweets for negligent.