from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Disorderly and dirty: a messy bedroom.
- adj. Exhibiting or demonstrating carelessness: messy reasoning.
- adj. Unpleasantly difficult to settle or resolve: a messy court case.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. in a disorderly state; chaotic; disorderly.
- adj. prone to causing mess.
- adj. difficult or unpleasant to deal with
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a state of mess, confusion, ordirtiness; making a mess; littered or littering; untidy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. dirty and disorderly
What we need instead is what I describe as messy coherence, a sense of direction with with requisite diversity.
Now, this is what I call a messy situation because Thai police are hellbent on proving that it was anything but murder.
But all she did was preserve what the department had; she has yet to upgrade the operation or figure out a way for her department to become the clear mother ship for US smart power deployed in messy international situations.
Bright photographs fetishize hardship -- happy Natives fishing, pensive Natives in messy houses.
There is always a technocratic urge in messy changing technology markets to swoop in and mandate a standard from above, even while the technology is still evolving.
Where things get messy is less with tax-exempt status, but with allowing federal and state aid to flow through these institutions.
Ginsberg's life was messy, and reflecting it too precisely would almost certainly result in messy filmmaking.
When they found nothing to arrest me on – they decided that a house this messy is not habitavle for my 16 year old daughter to live in.
Of course, I was the President, a President in messy dark plaits who despaired, sometimes, of the lack of enthusiasm of the troops.
I believe in messy, upsetting, wild love that erases all boundaries.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.