American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Disorderly and dirty: a messy bedroom.
- adj. Exhibiting or demonstrating carelessness: messy reasoning.
- adj. Unpleasantly difficult to settle or resolve: a messy court case.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a state of mess, confusion, ordirtiness; making a mess; littered or littering; untidy.
- adj. of a place in a disorderly state; chaotic; disorderly.
- adj. of a person prone to causing mess.
- adj. of a situation difficult or unpleasant to deal with
- adj. dirty and disorderly
- From mess + -y. (Wiktionary)
“What we need instead is what I describe as messy coherence, a sense of direction with with requisite diversity.”
“Now, this is what I call a messy situation because Thai police are hellbent on proving that it was anything but murder.”
“But all she did was preserve what the department had; she has yet to upgrade the operation or figure out a way for her department to become the clear mother ship for US smart power deployed in messy international situations.”
“Bright photographs fetishize hardship -- happy Natives fishing, pensive Natives in messy houses.”
“There is always a technocratic urge in messy changing technology markets to swoop in and mandate a standard from above, even while the technology is still evolving.”
“Where things get messy is less with tax-exempt status, but with allowing federal and state aid to flow through these institutions.”
“Ginsberg's life was messy, and reflecting it too precisely would almost certainly result in messy filmmaking.”
“When they found nothing to arrest me on – they decided that a house this messy is not habitavle for my 16 year old daughter to live in.”
“Of course, I was the President, a President in messy dark plaits who despaired, sometimes, of the lack of enthusiasm of the troops.”
“I believe in messy, upsetting, wild love that erases all boundaries.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘messy’.
All these terms have a (different) American English equivalent. Wonder if you can identify them?
notanotherjazzpoet had a very promising list which appears to have petered out. Yes, tosspots: descriptions of being drunk. Walk five metres on the white line then leave your suggestions right here.
A list of traits that I don't like in others.
Things you get.
Looking for tweets for messy.