from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Covered with or as if with soot.
- adj. Of or producing soot.
- adj. Blackish or dusky in color.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, relating to, or producing soot
- adj. soiled with soot
- adj. of the color of soot
- v. To blacken or make dirty with soot.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to soot; producing soot; soiled by soot.
- adj. Having a dark brown or black color like soot; fuliginous; dusky; dark.
- transitive v. To black or foul with soot.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Covered or marked with soot; black with soot.
- Producing soot.
- Produced by soot; consisting of soot.
- Resembling soot; dark; dusky.
- In zoology and botany, fuliginous; of a dusky or dark fuscous color: specifically noting many animals.
- To black or foul with soot.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. covered with or as if with soot
- adj. of the blackest black; similar to the color of jet or coal
Sorry, no etymologies found.