from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Covered with or as if with soot.
- adj. Of or producing soot.
- adj. Blackish or dusky in color.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of, relating to, or producing soot
- adj. soiled with soot
- adj. of the color of soot
- v. To blacken or make dirty with soot.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to soot; producing soot; soiled by soot.
- adj. Having a dark brown or black color like soot; fuliginous; dusky; dark.
- transitive v. To black or foul with soot.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Covered or marked with soot; black with soot.
- Producing soot.
- Produced by soot; consisting of soot.
- Resembling soot; dark; dusky.
- In zoology and botany, fuliginous; of a dusky or dark fuscous color: specifically noting many animals.
- To black or foul with soot.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. covered with or as if with soot
- adj. of the blackest black; similar to the color of jet or coal
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It also serves as a medium for a black fungus known as sooty mold to grow on the leaves.
The "sooty" sounds of jazz express those suddenly liberated energies in all their ambivalence: sexual license, the disintegration of family ties (a girl leaves her baby brother on the street to dash inside for a copy of "The Trombone Blues"), the new militant politics.
Unlike in other cases, I've read about, my iPod continued to spew smoke and spit sparks while throwing out some kind of sooty substance from the inside of the iPod for several minutes after removing the cable from the computer.
Vikrant on Chris Rock meets 'sooty' at the Polo club
Don on BNP members found in the immigration service on Chris Rock meets 'sooty' at the Polo club
The Dude on Now Charles is in trouble over 'sooty' fug on Now Charles is in trouble over 'sooty' persephone on 'Paki' is still an offensive word on Now Charles is in trouble over 'sooty'
So what should be the criteria for working in such roles as the police or immigration service? persephone on Now Charles is in trouble over 'sooty'
Jai on Now Charles is in trouble over 'sooty' on Now Charles is in trouble over 'sooty'
Hackette on Now Charles is in trouble over 'sooty'
Dec 5 (ANI): Researchers have taken a step towards understanding how some species of monkeys such as sooty mangabeys and
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.