from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Covered or filled with dust.
- adj. Consisting of or resembling dust; powdery.
- adj. Tinged with gray.
- adj. Timeworn; stale: the dusty precepts of a bygone era.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Covered with dust.
- adj. powdery and resembling dust
- adj. gray/grey in parts
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Filled, covered, or sprinkled with dust; clouded with dust; ; also, reducing to dust.
- adj. Like dust; of the color of dust.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Filled, covered, or sprinkled with dust; reduced to dust; clouded with dust: as, a dusty road; dusty matter; dusty windows.
- Like dust; of the hue of dust; clouded: as, a dusty white or red.
- Covered with minute, dust-like scales, as the wings of a butterfly.
- In botany, covered with granulations simulating dust.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. covered with a layer of dust
- adj. lacking originality or spontaneity; no longer new
-- Glenn Gannon stood in dusty, steel-toed boots and white hard hat on the grassy dike at Lake Okeechobee, one of the biggest lakes in America and one of the most worrisome.
He stopped at a lonesome table specializing in dusty Afro Beat records and placed the rare one he sought under the needle of his machine.
But when you ride in dusty conditions, always use an Outerwear or K&N precharger.
Elena's brother Heraclio, a husky fellow in dusty jeans and black jersey, had now arrived at the house, taking a break from his construction job to translate the interview and explain the needlepoint technique.
Clerks in dusty stores moved with the majestic inertia of tall ships becalmed.
The rest have been sitting in dusty archives in the form of negatives, slides, glass plates, etchings, and prints.
Gane (7501) will be sent to Stalag as the Doctor forbids work in dusty conditions.
Writing a sizzling or deeply romantic scene would be difficult for the best author if sitting in dusty clutter surrounded by shrieking children or neighbors and eating day old pizza.
I wouldn't wear bright pink near my face, but I have had some things in dusty pinks and goldish pinks that actually toned down my redness.
On my Route 66 journey, I loved the onset of dusk in dusty mid-West towns, when Art Deco-like 30's motel signs clicked on, beckoning weary travellers to the comforts within.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.