from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Biology Covered with short, fine whitish or grayish hairs or down; hoary.
- adj. Turning white or grayish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. turning white or gray
- adj. covered with short white or gray hairs; hoary
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Growing white, or assuming a color approaching to white.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Growing white or hoary; tending or approaching to white; whitish: applied to hoary, whitish pelage, plumage, or other covering of animals, and to plants with gray or hoary pubescence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of greyish white
- adj. covered with fine whitish hairs or down
Latin cānēscēns, cānēscent-, present participle of cānēscere, inchoative of cānēre, to be white, from cānus, white; see kas- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin canescens, present participle of canescere ("to become gray or white") (Wiktionary)