from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Covered with hair or hairlike projections: a hairy caterpillar.
- adj. Consisting of or resembling hair: a hairy overcoat.
- adj. Slang Fraught with difficulties; hazardous: a hairy escape; hairy problems.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of a person, having a lot of hair on the body.
- adj. Of an animal, having a lot of fur.
- adj. Of a body part other than the head, having hair growing from it.
- adj. Difficult, complex, intricate, or intimidating.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Bearing or covered with hair; made of or resembling hair; rough with hair; hirsute.
- adj. Very complicated, difficult, or involved.
- adj. Dangerous or frightening.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Overgrown with hair; covered or abounding with hair.
- Consisting of hair or of something like hair; having the character or appearance of hair: as, the hairy covering of an animal; the hairy filaments of a plant.
- Having or characterized by something resembling hair.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having or covered with hair
- adj. hazardous and frightening
Sorry, no etymologies found.
On that front, molecular evolutionary biologist Aaron Avivi of the University of Haifa in Israel and his colleagues have focused on the Spalax genus of mole rat, which he describes as a "hairy sausage whose ends are hard to tell apart."
I suspect what happened here, Catherine, is that they were sitting in Shooney's and maybe she was giving them what we call the hairy eyeball and they thought they would have some fun with her by talking about September 11 and September 13.
In 2009, local hunters witnessed what they described as "hairy humanoid creatures" near the Azass Cave in Mount Shoriya.
"A transcriptional suppressor, which we call hairy, is crucial for reducing the mismatch between supply and demand of oxygen," said Dan Zhou, Ph. D.,
On young fruits the wax-producing glands are more prominent than the wax itself, so they are known as hairy or fuzzy gourds or melons.
Well one of my online buddies sent me this on messenger a moment ago I found it gross but quite interesting at the same time. its called hairy tongue also know as black tongue disease.
I'll be on the motorcycle so no trailer .... and hairy is probably what I'm looking for:)
Lee and I laughed as we remembered some remarkable meals in Singapore and Shanghai with an ingredient found there called hairy crab, usually in season for about six week in November.
They talk about Susan saying “she has been dubbed the hairy angel”, forgetting that they were the ones who coined this unappealing nickname.
* Sumatran rhino: Also known as the hairy or Asian two-horned rhinoceros, fewer than 300 survive today in the subtropical and tropical dry forests of Indonesia and Malaysia.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.