from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having, covered with, or resembling long rough hair or wool.
- adj. Bushy or matted: shaggy hair.
- adj. Having a rough nap or surface, as a textile.
- adj. Poorly groomed; unkempt.
- adj. Marked by a lack of order or clarity in thinking, planning, or performance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Rough with long or thick hair, fur or wool; unshaven, ungroomed, or unbrushed.
- adj. Rough; rugged; jaggy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Rough with long hair or wool.
- adj. Rough; rugged; jaggy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Rough, coarse, or unkempt; thick, rough, and irregular.
- Rough; covered with long coarse or bushy hair, or with something resembling it.
- In botany, pubescent or downy with long and soft hairs; villous.
- In embryology, villous: noting specifically that part of the chorion which develops long villous processes, and thus enters into the formation of the placenta, the rest of the chorion remaining smooth.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having a very rough nap or covered with hanging shags
- adj. used of hair; thick and poorly groomed
Colangelo looked at Johnson's thin shaggy hair that nearly reached his shoulders, and said: Randy, if you want to have tattoos from your head to the bottom of your feet, and wear a nose ring on the mound while you pitch, we'll pass.
If we call the shaggy one, _Hicoria ovata_, shagbark, and call the big western one shellbark, it seems to me
It was really more like a trim, though, a grooming of his usual style, which Isobel often referred to as shaggy à la hobo.
His new book, The Lost Ark of the Covenant: Solving the 2,500 Year Mystery of the Fabled Biblical Ark HarperOne along with a History Channel special scheduled for March 2 would appear to risk a fine academic reputation on what might be called a shaggy Ark story.
It certainly is what my mother used to call a shaggy-dog story, digressive to a sometimes irritating degree.
The plant is called shaggy-mane because of the very shaggy appearance of the cap, due to the surface being torn up into long locks.
For Craig (Keir Gilchrist), the depressed, anxious and momentarily suicidal Park Slope teenager at the center of the forthcoming film "It's Kind of a Funny Story," self-commitment to a psychiatric ward marks the first step toward a kind of shaggy-dog enlightenment.
Then, pour ice water in tablespoon increments until dough looks "shaggy" and feels slightly wet.
There's got to be some kind of shaggy-dog punchline-y response to this, but I can't come up with it.
Dax Wave and Groom (just because I'm a refugee doesn't mean I have to let my hair go all to hell - although it is getting kind of shaggy).
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.