American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Not equal, as in size, length, or quality.
- adj. Having ill-matched opponents: an uneven contest.
- adj. Not consistent or uniform: an uneven color.
- adj. Not smooth or level: the uneven surface of a cobblestone road. See Synonyms at rough.
- adj. Not straight or parallel: uneven margins.
- adj. Of, relating to, or being an odd number.
- adj. Obsolete Not fair or equitable.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not even. Not level, smooth, or plain; rough; rugged.
Shak., M. N. D., iii. 2, 417.Not straight or direct; crooked. Shak., R. and J., iv. l. 5.Not uniform, equable, regular, or continuous; changeable; jerky.
- Not perfectly horizontal or level, as the beam of a scale; not at the same height or on the same plane; hence, not fair, just, or true.
- In arithmetic, odd; not divisible by 2 without a remainder: as, 3, 5, 7, etc., are uneven numbers.
- Ill-matched; unsuitable; ill-assorted.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Not even; not level; not uniform; rough.
- adj. Not equal; not of equal length.
- adj. Not divisible by two without a remainder; odd; -- said of numbers.
- adj. variable and recurring at irregular intervals
- adj. lacking consistency
- adj. (of a contest or contestants) not fairly matched as opponents
- adj. not divisible by two
- adj. not even or uniform as e.g. in shape or texture
- Old English unefen, from un- + even. (Wiktionary)
“The Chinese leader vowed to close the wealth gap and tackle what he described as uneven economic development.”
“BASH: The president did concede kidnappings, armed gangs and terrorism are causing what he called uneven advances, forcing a change in tactics to address urgent visible needs like sewer lines and city roads first, instead of large-scale repairs.”
“BASH: The president did concede, kidnappings, armed gangs and terrorism are causing what he called uneven advances, forcing a change in tactics to address urgent visible needs, like sewer lines and city roads first, instead of large-scale repairs.”
“To try to impede him, opponents sometimes substituted his sticks or cut the grass in uneven patterns.”
“The sidewalks bumped up and down in uneven steps and landings.”
“But I need it to be absorbent so that the ink will set and dry, rather than sit in uneven droplets on the page. * sigh*”
“It moves in uneven spurts, sometimes so deliciously slow, sometimes unbearably fast.”
“So thick was the foliage of the trees that the sun but penetrated in uneven patches.”
“An untidy mass of wavy chestnut hair stuck out in uneven puffs and insubordinate curls, all round the small head.”
“My breath came in short uneven gasps between sobs.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘uneven’.
words for shape
( randomness, visual. descriptive )
Words that appropriately fit my dreaming...
or when I'm not in a state of "wakefulness."
Patterned words! Any word that alternates vowels and consonants with no consonants next to each other, and no vowels next to each other. (And a letter limit of no less than 5)
Looking for tweets for uneven.