from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Characterized by jerks or jerking: a jerky train ride.
- adj. Slang Foolish; silly: jerky ideas about saving money.
- n. Meat cured by jerking. Also called charqui.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Characterized by physical jerking.
- n. Lean meat cured and preserved by cutting into thin strips and air-drying in the sun.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Moving by jerks and starts; characterized by abrupt transitions
- adj. Foolish; ridiculous; stupid.
- n. Meat, especially beef, that has been cut in strips and dried; meat that has been jerked; see first jerk, v.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of a jerking character; acting by jerks; spasmodic; capricious; impatient.
- n. See the extract.
- n. See jerk.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. lacking a steady rhythm
- n. meat (especially beef) cut in strips and dried in the sun
- adj. marked by abrupt transitions
- adj. having or revealing stupidity
The word "jerky" is believed to have come from the Spanish word charque which means roughly "dried meat."
If the Fed engaged in "jerky" monetary policy in order to generate unanticipated inflation, then it might have some short term impact on real wages, but there would have to be a permanent monetary illusion to have lasting effect.
Most storebought jerky is dry and leathery because it is salt cured, chemically preserved, smoked or treated with liquid smoke, and processed to meet USDA standards for storage at room temp.
Not dust, shrapnel (and Orphan, moving in jerky, dreamlike motions, grabbed hold of Lucy and let himself fall to the ground, his weight dragging her with him, his body first cushioning her fall and then covering her in a protective embrace) -
It can also be flavored to appeal to adventurous eaters and marketed to please athletic types — all jerky is high in protein and carb-light.
I made venison jerky from a Cabela's mix at a girlfriend's house.
Wolf jerky is what the businesses in Minnesota have been selling the tourists in place of venison jerky for years now!
No, you didnt miss anything, the basic idea of jerky is really simple don't let the people selling contraptions make you think any different.
My wife and I are always fighting about whose jerky is better.
The lifters roared into action and belched the dead gases of life eons gone, and the wings rose up in jerky, screeching stages.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.