from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Occurring in or characterized by intermittent bursts, as of activity; irregular. See Synonyms at periodic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Irregular; unsteady; characterized by fits.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Full of fits; irregularly variable; impulsive and unstable.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Varied by irregular fits of action and repose; occurring or marked by fits and starts; spasmodic; capricious; changeable; checkered: as, a fitful disease or mood; a fitful life or career.
- Synonyms Irregular, variable, unstable.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. intermittently stopping and starting
- adj. occurring in spells and often abruptly
From fit + -ful. (Wiktionary)