American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Lacking definite form; shapeless. See Synonyms at shapeless.
- adj. Of no particular type; anomalous.
- adj. Lacking organization; formless.
- adj. Lacking distinct crystalline structure.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having no determinate form; of irregular shape.
- Having no regular structure; specifically, not crystallized, even in the minutest particles: as, glass and opal are amorphous.—. Of no particular kind or character; formless; characterless; heterogeneous; unorganized.
- Characterized by amorphism; founded on the principles of amorphism; nihilistic; anarchic.
- Also amorphic.
- adj. lacking a definite form or clear shape
- adj. being without definite character or nature
- adj. lacking organization or unity
- adj. physics in the non-crystalline solid state of a typically crystalline solid.
- adj. set theory, of a set infinite and not the disjoint union of two infinite subsets
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having no determinate form; of irregular; shapeless.
- adj. Without crystallization in the ultimate texture of a solid substance; uncrystallized.
- adj. Of no particular kind or character; anomalous.
- adj. without real or apparent crystalline form
- adj. having no definite form or distinct shape
- adj. lacking the system or structure characteristic of living bodies
- From Ancient Greek ἄμορφος (amorphos) "without form, shapeless, deformed" (itself from α- (a-) "without" + μορφή (morphē) "form") + the English suffix -ous (Wiktionary)
- From Greek amorphos : a-, without; see a-1 + morphē, shape. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“No, I don't think 'amorphous' is quite the word for much of that southern white elite.”
“I don't know if the problem is that my "Gen" can only think in amorphous non-thoughts, but the best thing they could do would be to come up with actual concrete plans of action.”
“And speaking of crying out loud, if you look and listen you'll see that these youngsters are crying out for guidance on how they can help make this space thing happen and forge their paths into the future, and what do they get from the peanut gallery? packed full of nothing can only think in amorphous non-thoughts”
“In collaboration with John Konnert and Peter D'Antonio, procedures were developed for determining atomic arrangements in amorphous materials based on criteria similar to those applied to molecular vapors.”
“Again; solid bodies, whether simple or compound, are capable of existing in two states, which are known by the terms amorphous and crystalline.”
“He said Apple will take a production line at Sharp's Sakai facility to make a modified version of what are known as amorphous TFT displays and will likely begin commercial production of what he called iTV in February.”
“He said Apple will take a production line at Sharp's Sakai facility to make a modified version of what are known as amorphous TFT displays and will probably begin commercial production of what he called iTV in February.”
“United Solar uses something called amorphous silicon technology, while Dow has set its sights on a newer technology known as Cigs -- photovoltaic cells made of copper, indium, gallium and selenium, which, when they work, are more efficient -- able to turn 13% of the sun's energy into electricity.”
“Now glasses are also silicates of various metals, but unlike gem minerals the glasses are not crystalline but rather amorphous, that is, without definite geometric form or definite internal arrangement.”
“The water molecules would have stuck together much more haphazardly, forming so-called amorphous ice.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘amorphous’.
All the scientific words found in the official EU nomenclature. For the screening I used Vocabgrabber of the Visual Thesaurus.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
Lovecraft, Lovecraftian, bete noire
words of diversity
Looking for tweets for amorphous.