from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having no definite shape or structure; unorganized. See Synonyms at shapeless.
- adj. Not yet developed to maturity: "a headstrong, unformed young man” ( Rod Nordland).
- adj. Not yet given a physical existence; uncreated.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. not having a definite form
- adj. not well developed
- adj. not formed or made
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Decomposed, or resolved into parts; having the form destroyed.
- adj. Not formed; not arranged into regular shape, order, or relations; shapeless; amorphous.
- adj. Unorganized; without definite shape or structure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not having been formed; not fashioned; not molded into regular shape.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not formed or organized
- adj. not having form or shape
Catholic theologians, from Jerome to Augustine to Aquinas to the Council of Trent, more or less followed Aristotle's distinction between "unformed" and "formed" or "animated" fetuses to argue that ensoulment, and therewith, fully human life begins not at conception but at some later point in embryonic development.
Crossing a terrain obstacle causes a unit to become disordered and fight "unformed".
But, he says, she is "unformed" on economic policy, adding: "I don't think they've really hit on a middle-class-friendly economic agenda."
A demon with no shape, only a kind of unformed sexual glare with the eye of prophecy.
Ideas that Rep.blicans do add are "unformed," like Virginia Rep. Eric Cantor's plan to replace TARP with an insurance program.
I don't exactly have that problem, but I do have a somewhat "unformed" idea of what heaven will be like.
Young, beautiful, profoundly attractive to all around her and terribly unformed when the novel starts, Ottilie finds herself the unwitting catalyst for disaster.
The drop in unformed police staffing is exacerbated, according to the IBO, by a concurrent decrease in NYPD civilian staffing.
Just be sure, my dearest, that it is you who gives shape to their unformed souls and not their mother, as she is of inferior sensibilities.
We are moving away from the coiffured and poised heroine towards someone who seems more unformed and raw.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.