from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Dependent upon or characterized by mere chance. See Synonyms at chance.
- n. Mere chance; fortuity.
- adv. By chance; casually.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. random; chaotic; incomplete; not thorough, constant, or consistent
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Extra hazard; chance; accident; random.
- adj. Determined by chance, whimsy, or guesswork; unplanned; aimless; random; -- used mostly of human actions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Chance; accident.
- Chance; accidental; random: as, a haphazard statement.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. marked by great carelessness
- adj. dependent upon or characterized by chance
- adv. without care; in a slapdash manner
From hap ("chance, luck") + hazard. (Wiktionary)