from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, characterized by, based on, or constituting a system.
- adj. Carried on using step-by-step procedures.
- adj. Purposefully regular; methodical. See Synonyms at orderly.
- adj. Of or relating to classification or taxonomy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Carried out using a planned, ordered procedure
- adj. Methodical, regular and orderly
- adj. Of, or relating to taxonomic classification
- adj. Of, relating to, or being a system
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to system; consisting in system; methodical; formed with regular connection and adaptation or subordination of parts to each other, and to the design of the whole
- adj. Proceeding according to system, or regular method
- adj. Pertaining to the system of the world; cosmical.
- adj. Affecting successively the different parts of the system or set of nervous fibres.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to system; consisting in system; methodical; formed with regular connection and adaptation or subordination of parts to one another and to the design of the whole: as, a systematic arrangement of plants or animals; a systematic course of study.
- Proceeding according to system or regular method; with intention; formal: as, a systematic writer.
- Of or pertaining to the system of the universe; cosmical.
- Classificatory; taxonomic; marked by, based on, or agreeable with any system of classification or nomenclature: as, a systematic treatise; systematic principles or practice; systematic zoölogy or botany. See system, 11.
- In ancient prosody, of or pertaining to a system, or group of periods; constituting systems, or composed of systems.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to taxonomy
- adj. characterized by order and planning
Sorry, no etymologies found.