from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.
- adj. Fanatical.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Fanatical.
- adj. Showing evidence of possession by a god or demon; frenzied, over-zealous.
- n. A person who is zealously enthusiastic for some cause, especially in religion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to, or indicating, fanaticism; extravagant in opinions; ultra; unreasonable; excessively enthusiastic, especially on religious subjects
- n. A person affected by excessive enthusiasm, particularly on religious subjects; one who indulges wild and extravagant notions of religion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as fanatical.
- n. A person affected by zeal or enthusiasm, particularly on religious subjects; one given to wild and extravagant notions of religion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. marked by excessive enthusiasm for and intense devotion to a cause or idea
- n. a person motivated by irrational enthusiasm (as for a cause)
Giving a whole new meaning to the term fanatic, this deranged devotee and No 1 fan of a romance-novel writer (James Caan), holds him against his will, forces a rewrite of the protagonist's fate and then sledgehammers his legs so he can't escape from her.
Sorry, but a fanatic is a fanatic, regardless of what sheepskin she wears.
The pope says many parts of the world are now facing threats to peace, including terrorism and what he calls fanatic fundamentalist.
In my experience, the essential pop fanatic is a polygamist.
My mother's family has been American since 1639, my great + grandfather fought in the Revolutionary War, and no fanatic is telling me to leave my country because I don't listen to Fox News.
I am an oatmeal raisin fanatic - so can I sub raisins for the choc chips and throw in some pecans??
I'm always worried some Red Sox fanatic is going to give Frank a little "Fenway massage" with a bat or something.
You resemble nothing so much as a Palin fanatic circa Pearl Harbor Day 2008.
I read "Napalm and Silly Putty" ― a must read for any Carlin fanatic ― this past week, after finding it in a library book sale this winter.
There's no way to please all the fans with all the interpretations, but this fanatic is quite pleased so far.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.