from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who wanders from place to place without a permanent home or a means of livelihood.
- n. A migrant worker.
- intransitive v. To live or wander like a vagrant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A homeless, usually penniless person, in some way associated with a life along the rails.
- n. A migratory laborer
- n. A tramp, vagabond; hence bum
- v. To be a hobo, tramp, bum etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A professional tramp; one who spends his life traveling from place to place, esp. by stealing rides on trains, and begging for a living.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tramp.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a disreputable vagrant
Origin unknown.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Possibly a contraction of ho, boy or English dialect hawbuck ("lout, clumsy fellow, country bumpkin"). (Wiktionary)