from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A shabbily clothed, dirty child.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dirty, shabbily-clothed child; an urchin.
- n. A breed of domestic cat which is an offshoot from the Ragdoll.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A paltry or disreputable fellow; a mean wretch.
- n. A person who wears ragged clothing.
- n. The long-tailed titmouse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The name of a demon.
- n. An idle, worthless fellow; a vagabond; now, especially, a disreputably ragged or slovenly person: formerly used as a general term of reprehension.
- n. A titmouse: same as mufflin.
- Base; beggarly; ragged or disorderly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a dirty shabbily clothed urchin
Middle English Ragamuffyn, a personal name : probably raggi, ragged (from ragge, rag; see rag1) + Middle Dutch moffel, muffe, mitten; see muff2.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Middle English Ragamuffyn. According to Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: A muffin is a poor thing of a creature, a 'regular muff'; so that a ragamuffin is a sorry creature in rags. (Wiktionary)