from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who makes a living scavenging rags and other refuse.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who scavenges rags and other refuse for a living
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who gets a living by picking up rags and refuse things in the streets.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who goes about to collect rags, bones, and other waste articles of some little value, from streets, ashpits, dunghills, etc.
- n. A machine for tearing and pulling to shreds rags, yarns, hosiery, old carpet, and other waste, to reduce them to cotton or wool staple; a shoddy-machine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an unskilled person who picks up rags from trash cans and public dumps as a means of livelihood
Sorry, no etymologies found.