from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who scavenges along beaches or in wharf areas.
- n. A seaside vacationer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A seaman who is not prepared to work but hangs around port areas living off the charity of others.
- n. Any loafer around a waterfront.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A long, curling wave rolling in from the ocean. See comber.
- A vagrant seaman, usually of low character, who loiters about seaports, particularly on the shores and islands of the Pacific Ocean.
- a vagrant living on a beach.
- a person who searches along a beach for objects of value, such as lost objects or seashells.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A long wave rolling in from the ocean. Bartlett. [U. S.]
- n. A seafaring man, generally of vagrant and drunken habits, who idles about the wharves of seaports: used most frequently in countries bordering on the Pacific ocean.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a vagrant living on a beach
beach + comber (Wiktionary)