from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who scavenges along beaches or in wharf areas.
- n. A seaside vacationer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A seaman who is not prepared to work but hangs around port areas living off the charity of others.
- n. Any loafer around a waterfront.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A long, curling wave rolling in from the ocean. See comber.
- A vagrant seaman, usually of low character, who loiters about seaports, particularly on the shores and islands of the Pacific Ocean.
- a vagrant living on a beach.
- a person who searches along a beach for objects of value, such as lost objects or seashells.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A long wave rolling in from the ocean. Bartlett. [U. S.]
- n. A seafaring man, generally of vagrant and drunken habits, who idles about the wharves of seaports: used most frequently in countries bordering on the Pacific ocean.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a vagrant living on a beach
Harris, the beachcomber, is searching for his descendants, to whom she would like to give her finds.
So a new idea was born, sometimes called the "beachcomber express," in which the first ex-Africans were seashore dwellers who spread rapidly around the coast of the Indian Ocean, showing an unexpected skill at seafaring to reach Australia across a strait that was at least 40 miles wide.
One of them was a runaway sailor, who had been living on the island several years (such being termed a beachcomber), a Portuguese, and six Kanakas, as the natives are called.
I don't see it, which means TLR may announce next week his plans to audition Craig at the position next spring. dub the beachcomber: wave master, we have too many outfielders and the braves are looking for one. they have lots of pitching. do you see a match up? which card outfielder is most expendable and what caliber player could they bring? thanks joe
Joe Strauss: LaRue's injury virtually demands a suspension for Cueto. dub the beachcomber: Joe, this won't be popular but the way I saw the brawl and the Cueto incident was that Cueto was backed up against the railing and panicked and began kicking.
Pay attention. dub the beachcomber: Big Kahuna, I haven't heard anything about Pinto or the other reliever whose name escapes me, that the cards picked up recently.
After they are settling in, and Carey is recovering well, a "beachcomber", who reckons he is king of these islands, makes his appearance with a retinue of aborigines.
Although I read German -- desperately, like a beachcomber sifting sand on a bad day -- even I could make out the tone.
Since when has Fitu-Iva come to be run by a Levuka beachcomber?
The evidence for this "beachcomber express" is chiefly genetic.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.