from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang One who habitually takes advantage of the generosity of others; a parasite.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. sponger (person who takes advantage of the generosity of others)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Among the Jews, a beggar.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Among German Jews, a beggar; a tramp.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Yiddish) a scrounger who takes advantage of the generosity of others
Yiddish shnorer, beggar, sponger, from shnorn, to beg, from Middle High German snurren, to hum, whir (from the sound of the musical instrument played by beggars).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Yiddish שנאָֹרער (shnorer) or German Schnorrer (Wiktionary)