American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Baseball A pitched ball that curves in the direction opposite to that of a normal curve ball.
- n. Slang An eccentric, impulsively whimsical, or irrational person.
- adj. Slang Impulsively whimsical; eccentric: That screwball proposal won't work.
- n. baseball A pitch thrown with added pressure by the index finger and a twisting wrist motion resulting in a motion to the right when thrown by a right-handed pitcher.
- n. US One who behaves in a crazy manner.
- adj. originally US Crazy, offbeat, bizarre, zany, or weird.
- n. a whimsically eccentric person
- adj. foolish; totally unsound
- n. a pitch with reverse spin that curves toward the side of the plate from which it was thrown
- From screw + ball (Wiktionary)
“Quote: We had some pitchers that threw what we called a screwball in those days, but that was a hard pitch to throw, and it was hard on your arm.”
“The slider, fastball, and the screwball were all on tonight.”
“One might assume that the incurve is simply the reverse of the outcurve, which would be the reverse of the curveball … which is to say, a screwball.”
“I had a variety of curves—threw a so-called screwball or indrop, too—and I used whatever delivery seemed best.”
“According to The New Dickson Baseball Dictionary, the incurve was the “pitch now known as a screwball.””
“None of it makes strict sense, which is why it's called screwball, but in its own crazy way”
“When was the era of the wonderful "screwball" movie comedies?”
“Daffy was the first of the new breed of "screwball" characters that emerged in the late 1930s.”
“Denouncing the portly preacher as a "screwball" and a "wacko," the queen defended the British record on human rights and urged the home secretary to look into the circumstances under which Sharpton was admitted to the country ...”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘screwball’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
List for old and new terms and phrases meaning crazy, nuts, batty, prone to extreme nervousness, etc.
WARNING: VERY EXPLICIT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
funny derogatory names, quotes, phrases.
( open list, randomness, ad hom, ad hominem )
buttfucking quitter, dirty sanchez, donkey punch, falcon punch, assbadger, unicorn turd, assclown, fudgenut, quackery, friggin homo, buttmuncher, jackwagon and 274 more...
Namely, compounds consisting of a verb with a direct object immediately after it, without inflection
A jumble of words, sometimes contradictory, that add up to me. I'll probably be adding to this list for some time, because I'm a very complex individual. ;P
Fashion elegance, oddities, styles, and cool garments.
just the next words that come along
A big part of my life - for now. Maybe someday I'll have a "My Major League Baseball Life." If so, free tickets for all Wordies.
Don't think baseball has its own language? Listen to a game on the radio with someone who knows nothing about it.
words i loathe with every fiber of my being...
Looking for tweets for screwball.