American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Causing laughter or amusement.
- adj. Intended or designed to amuse.
- adj. Strangely or suspiciously odd; curious.
- adj. Tricky or deceitful.
- n. Informal A joke; a witticism.
- n. Comic strips.
- n. The section of a newspaper containing comic strips.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Such as to afford fun or excite mirth; amusing; comical; ludicrous.
- Such as to cause surprise or perplexity; curious; strange; odd; queer: as, it is funny he never told me of his marriage.
- Synonyms Comical, Laughable, etc. See ludicrous.
- n. A light clinker-built pleasure-boat, with a pair of sculls. It is long and narrow, and is used for racing.
- n. humorous A joke.
- n. UK A narrow boat for sculling.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Droll; comical; amusing; laughable; inciting laughter.
- n. engraving A clinkerbuit, narrow boat for sculling.
- adj. not as expected
- adj. beyond or deviating from the usual or expected
- adj. experiencing odd bodily sensations
- n. an account of an amusing incident (usually with a punch line)
- adj. arousing or provoking laughter
- Perhaps a jocular use of funny. See above. (Wiktionary)
- From fun. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It was so funny, "Charlie went on -- everything was _funny_ with Charlie --" to see it rise up like a”
“Time for a comprehensive review of what they call the funny shirt tradition of APEC summit.”
“Ken is not what you call a funny person but he was laughing.”
“Schwarzenegger spoke to The Associated Press before unveiling details of what he calls a funny, action-packed, crime-fighting fantasy at the MipTV television business conference in the Riviera resort of Cannes.”
“Currently, Shlesinger plays host on what she describes as a funny news show she created for the Web about two years ago called The Weakly News.”
“This may be etymologically equivalent to the English word funny, a kind of small boat.”
“Whats kind of funny, is that MyNextCustomer will be quite useful for both SEOs and Social Media consultants, both of whom will find plenty of work in 2010, and beyond.”
“Also 'funny', is that karma thing about going around and coming around.”
“What's kind of funny is that between editions of the $600 a Month book the author had also published a different newer version that had increased the cost called Choose Mexico: Live Well on $800 a Month.”
“I very much want to be contrary and vote chicken, but ever since I saw that chicken eat that mouse, "funny" is not what I think when I look at or think about a chicken.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘funny’.
Words that speak humor
all folks, my boy!, not my dog, a whole other can..., a story for anoth..., a load of bull, the way it is, my baby, what i'm talkin' ..., ridickerous, the name of the game, no lady, that's m... and 47 more...
Codenames for top-secret places and things.
area 51, groom lake, homey airport, dreamland, paradise ranch, the box, manhattan project, operation anthropoid, operation barbarossa, operation northwoods, operation overlord, operation sealion and 26 more...
The present, the future. Goals, wishes, hopes.
A complete list of the green cards (adjectives) from the popular word game.
Okay, I admit it. I made a list of words my daughter knew when she was two years old.
I love words, especially the ones I make up with my friends.
List of adjectival terms, from aggressive to zippered, paired in printed materials with the adverb coruscatingly, identified by a simple query to Google Search (Books).
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for funny.