American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
- adj. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
- adj. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
- adj. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
- adj. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.
- n. A stupid or foolish person.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a state of stupor; having the faculties deadened or dulled; stupefied, either permanently or temporarily; benumbed.
- Lacking ordinary activity of mind; dull in ideas or expression; slow-witted; obtuse; crass.
- Characterized by mental dullness or inanity; witless; senseless; foolish; inane: as, a stupid joke; a stupid book; stupid fears.
- Synonyms Heavy, dull, drowsy, lethargic, comatose, torpid.
- Muddy-brained, muddled.
- Silly, Foolish, etc. (see absurd); flat, tame, humdrum, pointless, prosaic. See list under foolish.
- n. A stupid or humdrum person; a blockhead; a dunce.
- adj. Lacking in intelligence or exhibiting the quality of having been done by someone lacking in intelligence.
- adj. To the point of stupor.
- adj. archaic Characterized by or in a state of stupor; paralysed.
- adj. archaic Lacking sensation; inanimate; destitute of consciousness; insensate.
- adj. slang Amazing.
- adj. profane damn, annoying, darn
- adv. slang, dated Extremely.
- n. A stupid person; a fool.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Very dull; insensible; senseless; wanting in understanding; heavy; sluggish; in a state of stupor; -- said of persons.
- adj. Resulting from, or evincing, stupidity; formed without skill or genius; dull; heavy; -- said of things.
- adj. in a state of mental numbness especially as resulting from shock
- adj. lacking or marked by lack of intellectual acuity
- adj. lacking intelligence
- n. a person who is not very bright
- From Middle French stupide, from Latin stupidus ("struck senseless, amazed"), from stupeō ("be amazed or confounded, be struck senseless"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin stupidus, from stupēre, to be stunned. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Oh, Harvey, stupid, _stupid_ -- the video monitors on the deck -- Ben must have given her a gun, _knowing_ she would someday use it --”
“I personally * hate hate hate* when I feel like doing stuff that I know is * stupid stupid stupid*.”
“And you don’t see that much difference between men’s and women’s uniforms in fencing where it would be stupid, *stupid* to leave the body unprotected or the rest of martial arts that don’t hinge on gripping the opponent’s clothes like karate or taekwondo.”
“Heh…rachel’s comments were so stupid, they infected me and made me misspell ’stupid’.”
“Being stupid doesn’t mean you deserve to have bad things happen to you, yet often people have no compassion for someone if they can just call that person ’stupid’.”
“NONE of these fascist dictators have ever put on a uniform. for them to sit and say it was a blow to the military shows how stupid they really are. why would anyone expect ’stupid’ to understand what hekerry was saying. if anyone owes an apology it is this criminal, hypocritical nazi admin. for invading, occupying and murdering thousands of innocent people for their own self interests. and all in the name of OIL.”
“He has suspensions … I use the term stupid because a lot of suspensions are … every now and then you have to do something stupid to create some space for yourself for other players to be a little hesitant when they come around you.”
“The term stupid simply meant "think" in the context of you actual remarks, and was aimed at the reader not you.”
“Nevertheless, since God decided to give humans “free will,” He has been nothing but surprised by the unseemly and His Word stupid way people have used this license to veer from divine sensibilities.”
“MSNBC viewers take the term "stupid" to a whole new level.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘stupid’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words that are a pain in the ass to type in on a numerical keypad on a cell phone because they have consecutive letters that share the same button:
2 - ABC
3 - DEF
4 - GHI...
words describing people or things that just aren't very intelligent
A rich collection of all the ways you can insult someone's intelligence.
Mr. Pronunciation is an upstanding and reliable sort of dude. He's like the Clark Kent of the pronunciation world. Sometimes, though, he botches up a pronunciation and, you know, he's in a hurry an...
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 1972 more...
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
grabbable, retuiteando, leaving, fantastic, absolutely, kurwa, hella, ridic, underpass, hate, interlude, plush and 2369 more...
List of adjectival terms, from aggressive to zippered, paired in printed materials with the adverb coruscatingly, identified by a simple query to Google Search (Books).
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for stupid.