from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or belonging to the subfamily Anserinae, which comprises the geese.
- adj. Of or resembling a goose; gooselike.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Being from the subfamily Anserinae of the family Anatidae.
- adj. Of, concerning, or resembling a goose or geese; gooselike.
- adj. Silly, foolish, stupid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to, or resembling, a goose, or the skin of a goose.
- adj. Pertaining to the Anseres.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating to or resembling a goose, or the skin of a goose: sometimes applied to the skin when roughened by cold or disease (goose-flesh).
- Hence Stupid as a goose; foolish; silly.
- Specifically, in ornithology, resembling a goose or duck so closely as to be included in the family Anatidœ; being one of the Anatidœ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or resembling a goose
- adj. having or revealing stupidity
Latin ānserīnus, pertaining to geese, from ānser, goose; see ghans- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin anserīnus, from anser ("goose"). (Wiktionary)