American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Slang Crazy; insane.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or resembling a bat; battish.
- n. Rice while growing.
- n. A measure for rice in India, equal to 120 pounds. McElrath, Com. Dict.
- adj. slang Mad, crazy, silly.
- adj. obsolete Belonging to, or resembling, a bat (mammal).
- n. The buttocks or anus.
- n. Jamaica, UK, derogatory A homosexual man.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Belonging to, or resembling, a bat.
- adj. colloq. Crazy; demented; loony; nuts.
- adj. informal or slang terms for mentally irregular
- bat + -y. In sense “insane”, attested 1903, from expression have bats in one's belfry, from tendency of bats to fly around erratically. Compare also batshit ("insane") and squirrelly ("jumpy, eccentric"). (Wiktionary)
- From bats in the belfry. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“One thing that always drives me batty is when the photos are so low resolution that they are worthless. jupiterthunder”
“And then what drives me even more batty is when the room erupts in fervent applause, as if we are still living in the Cold War era, or as if they truly understand what socialized medicine would mean to them, and they are thoughtfully rejecting it for the principal of the free market.”
“There is more than one murder for Tori to cope with; but what drives her batty is the bulb on her porch keeps disappearing; her appointment book and a slide projector vanish.”
“In August of 1998, when North Korea tried to launch unsuccessfully a three-stage missile, it overflew Japan, and the Japanese population went absolutely batty, which is quite understandable.”
“Exercising a scepticism toward Mylroie's "batty" theories lacking in much of the media coverage, one of the 9/11 widows lambasted Zelikow for this transparent "sales pitch for the Iraq war.”
“The misunderstandings continued as I bragged on and on about my "batty" family.”
“Andrew Sullivan called me "batty" for saying that I liked Hillary Clinton's fashion.”
“After all "-- rueful laugh --" I may be headed for 'batty' any day now -- one never knows, does one?”
“She was, as Bobby said, quite 'batty' about her music.”
“Yes, I know that may sound kind of batty, but it's a fact.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘batty’.
words for buttocks and anything
to do with buttocks
vesper bat, vampire bat, fruit bat, baseball bat, Roy Batty, Townsend's big-ea..., Kitti's Hog-nosed..., giant golden-crow..., pipistrelle bat, Birdlike Noctule, stellaluna, Allen's Big-eared... and 174 more...
List for old and new terms and phrases meaning crazy, nuts, batty, prone to extreme nervousness, etc.
Interesting, there is a traditional vocabulary of an Ukrainian, that differs from vocabulary of average American. It would be nice to explore it.
What a -Y does to an otherwise common, dull word
Words for the mentally irregular
Mere days ago, I found a five-week-old kitten abandoned in the median of the Avenue we live on. She was in terrible shape, but is doing great now thanks to love and dedication.
dem woodz assoseeated wit da reegae mon..
( Reggae, Rastafari, Rasta, Jamaica, Zion, Haile Selassie, Africa, Caribbean )
( slang, randomness )
List of Jamaican Patois (Patwa) terms most commonly used
Ailments with animal attachments. Okay, some are just made up ical...
she's such a joy.
Words I should learn/I want to learn/I just learned, with a quotation to help the medicine go down.
hard word word 4 strong vocab
Looking for tweets for batty.