American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Crazy; insane.
- adj. Extremely enthusiastic: I'm nuts about opera.
- interj. Used to express contempt, disappointment, or refusal.
- n. Plural form of nut.
- n. vulgar, slang Testicles.
- n. poker A hand that can be proven unbeatable even when the hand's holder does not know any of the hidden cards the other poker players involved in a hand hold or held.
- adj. colloquial Insane, mad.
- adj. colloquial, figuratively Crazy, mad; unusually pleased or, alternatively, angered.
- interj. Indicates annoyance, anger, or disappointment.
- interj. Signifies rejection of a proposal or idea, as in forget it, no way, or nothing doing.
- v. Third-person singular simple present indicative form of nut.
GNU Webster's 1913
- slang Crazy; loony; insane; batty; -- used in a predicate position, ususually in phrases such as
to go nuts, went nuts, are you nuts?
- interj. slang An expression of disapproval, defiance, or displeasure, as in: “Ah, nuts! My knife just broke.”
- adj. informal or slang terms for mentally irregular
- From nut. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“All afternoon she had been with the children, playing Oranges and lemons, A ring, a ring of roses, and Here we come gathering nuts in May, _nuts_ in May,”
“And a golf club to the nuts is the sincerest form of entertainment.”
“When I said the word nuts, which is what Jesse Jackson actually did say that we knew at that time, I was not bleeped.”
“In a fiercely argued critique of the proposed balanced-budget amendment, which he calls "nuts," Bartlett accuses Republican lawmakers of once again trying the "starve-the-beast" ploy that has repeatedly failed.”
“Whenever a few of us label nuts were gathered together, we'd gripe about those plain vanilla labels.”
“Both my husband and son are train nuts, so we hopped off the freeway to see what the fuss was about.”
“Reading up on these “Nordic” nuts is like cleaning out the septic tank.”
“One of the things that the drug manufacturers do that drives us nuts is advertise prescription drugs on television.”
“What would really drive the left nuts is massive contributions to K-12 education in the form of scholarships to attend private schools.”
“Yeah, well, the problem with conspiracy nuts is that any evidence that runs counter to their conspiracy theory is evidence of a cover up.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘nuts’.
keep it rated G please, thanks!
( open list, randomness )
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
List for old and new terms and phrases meaning crazy, nuts, batty, prone to extreme nervousness, etc.
Help me build a list of things you'd find in a construction zone or at a construction site.
vegan food list of basic vegan food or types of vegan food you've had and liked.
( food, cuisine, eating, health, vegan, vegetarian, animal rights, anti-cruelty, cruelty free, conscio...
Words for the mentally irregular
This is a list of my favourite words (phrases) in english, as a second language. I love them mostly because of how they sound and their meaning.
For definitions see the source document.
"All the words and phrases included in this guide are those that have been used by patients during consultations and have been included to assi...
Words to describe the mad, the insane, the... well, me.
Looking for tweets for nuts.