from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Wire used in baling hay.
- adj. Informal Mentally confused or erratic; crazy: went haywire over the interminable delays.
- adj. Informal Not functioning properly; broken.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Wire used to bind bales of hay.
- adj. Roughly-made, unsophisticated, decrepit (from the use of haywire for temporary repairs).
- adj. Behaving erratically or uncontrollably, especially of a machine or mechanical process; usually used with the verb "go".
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not functioning properly
- n. wire for tying up bales of hay
- adj. informal or slang terms for mentally irregular
To say that this terrific book tells the true story of a New York stick-up gone haywire is like saying that Psycho is about a motel with an eccentric owner.
I probably would have enjoyed myself more if Alton had rules that prohibited smoking indoors like San Diego does — because let me tell you, choking on cigarette smoke when you’re already having trouble breathing because your sinuses have gone haywire is not a pretty thing — and, well, if I’d gone with a group of my own friends.
A “world gone haywire” wow, the only thing that went haywire is Roth’s brain.
So if at any particular moment in the day stocks go haywire, that is a great opportunity for a fundamental investor.
Mr. Hertzberg also offers some theories of why Mr. Matthews "went kind of haywire during the Clinton years":
In my opinion, Chris went kind of haywire during the Clinton years.
UFC 111 fighter Rory Markham fined $1,000; trainer says weight-cutting went "haywire"
Pat Miletich (Rory Markham's trainer) said the weight-cutting process simply went "haywire":
Sanctuary, by the way, is going to go "haywire" in the second half of the season.
I opened up the file (on the above computer) looked at the sections (no problem), ran sections that would go "haywire".
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.