from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. To one side; awry: rugs lying askew.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Turned or twisted to one side.
- adj. Untoward, unfavourable.
- adv. tilted to one side.
- adv. with disapproval
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. Awry; askance; asquint; oblique or obliquely; -- sometimes indicating scorn, or contempt, or entry.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In an oblique position; obliquely; awry; out of the proper position or arrangement; hence, askance; sidelong.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. turned or twisted to one side
- adj. turned or twisted toward one side
Probably a-2 + skew.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old Norse á ská ("askew, askance"), equivalent to a- + skew. Compare Icelandic á ská ("diagonally"), Danish skrå ("slanting, oblique"), German Schräge ("slope, slant"). (Wiktionary)