American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having no balance or symmetry.
- adj. Chemistry Of or relating to a carbon atom having four different atoms or structural groups attached to it, resulting in an unbalanced spatial arrangement of atoms in a molecule, so that the molecule cannot be superimposed on its mirror image; chiral.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Destitute of symmetry; not symmetrical.
- adj. geometry, general Of a shape, not symmetric.
- adj. cryptography Not involving a mutual exchange of keys between the sender and receiver.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. obsolete Incommensurable.
- adj. Not symmetrical; wanting proportion; esp., not bilaterally symmetrical.
- adj. characterized by asymmetry in the spatial arrangement or placement of parts or components
- A- + symmetric, as Ancient Greek ἀσυμμετρία (asymmetria), "disproportion", "deformity". (Wiktionary)
“The term asymmetric warfare is bandied about, another few words, 'hands tied behind backs', would be more appropriate. logdon”
“IEDs are what the military term asymmetric threats.”
“Klar proposed an explanation based on what he refers to as asymmetric cell division Ref 1.”
“The ones who have gone to what they call asymmetric tactics.”
“The insurgents are extremely mobile, agile and adaptive and they know they can't defeat us man-to-man, firefight-to-firefight, so they use what we call asymmetric tactics to engage us and their weapon of choice is the improvised explosive device,' he said.”
“Bowden agreed to help me by providing his own understanding of civilian deaths in asymmetric warfare.”
“MAD does not work in asymmetric warfare, nor when the attacker does not value their own life, nor when the attacker is willing to sacrifice their own children for furthering theircause.”
“Extremists will forever be able to demagogue conditions of misery, making continued U.S. involvement in asymmetric warfare an increasingly counterproductive exercise — because killing one terrorist creates five more in his place.”
“And so they use what everyone calls asymmetric means to do this.”
“The struggle does remain asymmetric, but it may have evolved in a way that gives target countries, especially the United States, more leverage and control than we have assumed.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘asymmetric’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A hodgepodge, jumble, jambalaya, *gallimaufry, circus and tent revival of plant anatomy and morphology terms and phrases - its a big tent, and no tickets are required.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Words associated with homeland security
The discovering of neuro and phago-cyte nano-engineered biology...
Recently added to be organized (perhaps) later.
Words that describe themselves (at least as displayed below). Also called autological or homological words, as listed by dann and tthorley.
Looking for tweets for asymmetric.