American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having or marked by bends, curves, or angles.
- adj. Informal Dishonest or unscrupulous; fraudulent.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Bent; having angles or curves; deviating from a straight line; curved; curving; winding.
- Not straight, in a figurative sense, especially as regards rectitude of conduct; not upright or straightforward; not honest; wrong; perverse; cross-grained.
- Hence Made or sold in secret, without the payment of the taxes or submitting to the regulations or inspection required by law: as, crooked whisky.
- Synonyms Bowed, awry, askew, deformed, distorted.
- Deceitful, tricky, dishonorable, knavish. See irregular.
- adj. Not straight; having one or more bends or angles.
- adj. Set at an angle; not vertical or square.
- adj. figuratively Dishonest or illegal; corrupt.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of crook.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Characterized by a crook or curve; not straight; turning; bent; twisted; deformed.
- adj. Not straightforward; deviating from rectitude; distorted from the right.
- adj. False; dishonest; fraudulent.
- adj. irregular in shape or outline
- adj. not straight; dishonest or immoral or evasive
- adj. having or marked by bends or angles; not straight or aligned
- adj. having the back and shoulders rounded; not erect
- From Middle English croked, crokid, past participle of croken ("to crook, bend"). Cognate with Danish kroget ("crooked"). More at crook. (Wiktionary)
“If this finger is crooked, then these weaknesses are all the more emphasised, but if formed _crooked and long_ the power of eloquence is also crooked.”
“And I just want to ask you very quickly, though, about the president's point, that if, in going after what he called crooked doctors, one can use administrative subpoenas without going through a judge and a jury, why isn't that appropriate to go after suspected terrorists?”
“WUKAN, China Reuters - Protesting Chinese villagers on Sunday demanded that central leaders defuse grievances about what they called crooked land deals and a suspicious death, as a revolt that has tested Communist Party authority in this semi-rural area neared its second week.”
“Well, I guess if being crooked is good enough for Illinois, it's good enough for the U.S.”
“So crooked is this Malik character I don't trust him as far as I can throw my car.”
“Hillary is personally involved in crooked land deals, insider trading, illegal campaign contributions, firing of white house travel agency, and a ridiculous health care plan but we want to talk about what some preacher has said in a sermon.”
“I call it crooked, but hey, each to his own, ronk.”
“And the Bug sang in crooked words, so that those who listened knew that the swarm was the Sea Valley tribe, that the bears were the Meat-Eaters, and that the lazy wasp was Split-Nose.”
“The destruction of those who walk in crooked ways will contribute to the peace and safety of the church.”
“That nothing is more offensive to God than hypocrisy and double-dealing, for these are signified by the word which we translate frowardness, pretending justice, but intending wrong, walking in crooked ways, to avoid discovery.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘crooked’.
words for shape
( randomness, visual. descriptive )
Beautiful, attractive, well-formed
Ugly, unattractive, malformed
words associated with the macabre & horror.
( open list, randomness )
she's such a joy.
abandon,extreme e..., abash,to humiliate, abate,to lessen, abbreviate,to sho..., abridge, abdicate,to forma..., aberration,depart..., abnormality, abet,to encourage, abhor,to hate, abide,to follow o..., abject,utterly ho... and 2228 more...
abandon,extreme e..., dispensing of all..., abash,to humiliate, abate,to lessen, abbreviate,to sho..., abridge, abdicate,to forma..., aberration,depart..., abnormality, abet,to encourage, abhor,to hate, abide,to follow o... and 2229 more...
These are words that I like; either because they sound amazing, mean pretty things, seem particularly suited to their assigned definition, or just have good mouthfeel. The best ones embody some com...
Looking for tweets for crooked.