from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or marked by perfidy; treacherous. See Synonyms at faithless.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or representing perfidy; disloyal to what should command one's fidelity or allegiance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Guilty of perfidy; violating good faith or vows; false to trust or confidence reposed; teacherous; faithless.
- adj. Involving, or characterized by, perfidy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Faithless; basely treacherous; false-hearted.
- Proceeding from or characterized by perfidy or base treachery; false: as, a perfidious act.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. tending to betray; especially having a treacherous character as attributed to the Carthaginians by the Romans
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Then Miriam was furious, and complained to Minna about what she called her perfidious conduct; but Minna only laughed, and told her she could have Petrofsky instead. "
We wouldn't lie to you about the history of "perfidious" -- even though the word itself suggests deceitfulness.
If soldiers are entitled to deal harshly with wounded enemy soldiers who might be engaged in perfidious acts, surely that entitlement can’t be contingent on holding a mini-trial right there to determine the matter.
'Your nation have well been called perfidious, Major Counsellor.
From the end of 1796 the Venetian Senate secretly continued its armaments, and the whole conduct of that Government announced intentions which have been called perfidious, but the only object of which was to defeat intentions still more perfidious.
Jews and Judaism are characterized as the perfidious enemy of Islam and Israel becomes the Salmon Rushdie of the nations
- where Jews and Judaism are characterized as the perfidious enemy of Islam, and Israel becomes the Salmon Rushdie of the nations.
In truth, that prayer, which, in its first wording defined the Jews as "perfidious", that is "outside the faith" and blind, had already been "changed" but never abolished by John XXIII.
The kind of perfidious thing, of bad faith, that is characteristic of the imperialists because imperialists do not only kill there, here, everywhere, steal, plunder, lie, they are a personification of all that is immoral and bad in the world.
He wouldn't have found The Albion "perfidious" in the matter of "turtle and fine living," -- which was Mrs.R. 's description of the Pharisee.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.