from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not feeling or exhibiting gratitude, thanks, or appreciation.
- adj. Not agreeable or pleasant; repellent: "I will not perform the ungrateful task of comparing cases of failure” ( Abraham Lincoln).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. not grateful; not expressing gratitude; a dissatisfied person.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not grateful; not thankful for favors; making no returns, or making ill return for kindness, attention, etc.; ingrateful.
- adj. Unpleasing; unacceptable; disagreeable.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not grateful; not feeling thankful or showing gratitude for favors; not making returns, or making ill returns, for kindness.
- Exhibiting ingratitude; characterized by ingratitude: as, ungrateful conduct; ungrateful words.
- Giving no return or recompense; offering no inducement: as, “th' ungrateful plain,”
- Unpleasing; unacceptable; disagreeable.
- Synonyms See grateful.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. disagreeable
- adj. not feeling or showing gratitude
Now the DPM shooting his cannon at the what he call ungrateful Chinese.
Nor was Martin ungrateful, knowing as he did the lives of the poor, and that if ever in the world there was charity, this was it.
Themistokles was banished, and chafing at the treatment he had received, he was encouraged to ask him to share his treason, and showed him the letters which he had received from the Persian king, at the same time inflaming his resentment against the Greeks, whom he spoke of as ungrateful wretches.
Yet in same breath, adoptees are called "ungrateful" just for wanting to meet, even once, their moms and dads.
Itthe arabic word comes from the root word "ungrateful" and as such, means someone who has fully understood the guidance given by God and is "ungrateful"---chosen to reject it.
And just in case Katherine or anyone else had the crazy idea to call her ungrateful, she's now going to flip her "misfortune" into a TV deal.
Everyone pounced calling her ungrateful (again) and adding that she wants out of her TV contract to make movies.
Everyone pounced calling her ungrateful again and adding that she wants out of her TV contract to make movies.
Those comments provoked quite a backlash, and Heigl was described as ungrateful and a traitor.
Pray, my son, did you ever hear of certain people being called ungrateful?
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.